Sunday, October 11, 2009

Post #1

Thanks for visiting my blog! My name is Mahssa and I am currently starting a new chapter of my life. Last year I decided to go back to school to get my Master's in teaching. After looking at several schools I decided to earn my degree at Willamette University. It took me a while to get here (about 30 years), but I am glad that I am finally focused on my dream on becoming an art teacher to middle school students.
Before I entered WU I was real unsure of what I wanted to do for a living. All I wanted from my career was to be one of those people who said " I enjoy waking-up every morning to go to work". I had many jobs in the past that almost made it impossible to wake-up in the morning at all. I knew that those jobs were not the jobs for me!
I decided to focus more on my passion for art and see where that took me. I painted all the time for my friends and family. I even received my Bachelor's degree in Art, but for some reason I never acquired an art related career. Maybe because I thought it was unlikely for me to become a respected artist. It's intimidating to express yourself as an artist and to be rejected by critics.
Several years ago I was a substitute teacher and a teacher's aide in Texas. I loved those jobs. In that environment I could be as goofy and creative as I wanted to be. After I thought back about how fun those times were I decided that teaching was the career for me. And I couldn't think of teaching anything that I loved more than art. Art is my passion. It's what gets me up in the morning. Now here I am headed toward that dream at WU. I am excited for this journey that I have just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment